Incentives and Legislation
Incentives and legislation that aim to increase uptake of alternative fuels vehicles and infrastructure.
If you know of other national or local incentives that should be included in this section, please send us an email and let us know.
- Registration tax benefits
Zero emission cars are exempt from paying registration tax.
For other cars the system is progressive, with different levels of CO2 emissions that pay different amounts of registration tax.
- Ownership tax benefits
No road tax for full electric cars and a 50% reduction on the tax for plugin hybrids.
- Company tax benefits
Since January 1, 2020, the addition on income tax for fully electric lease cars will gradually increase. As of 2020, the addition has increased from 4% to 8% of the list price of the car. Is the list price higher than € 45,000? In that case, 22% addition applies from € 45,000. In the following years, the addition percentage increases further.
Tax deductible investments: The Netherlands has a system of facilitating investments in clean technology, by making these investments partially deductible from corporate and income taxes. Zero emission and plug-in hybrid (and not with a diesel engine) cars are on the list of deductible investments, as are the accompanying charging points.
- Purchase subsidies
Since July 2020, the Netherlands has opened a purchase subsidy for private persons.
For 2020 and 2021, the subsidy amounts for electric passenger cars that meet the conditions are:
- Used electric passenger car purchase or private lease: € 2,000
- New electric passenger car for sale or private lease: € 4,000
- 100% electric passenger car with a range of at least 120 kilometres.
- The list price (original new price) is not lower than € 12.000 and not higher than € 45.000.
- The car has been produced as an electric passenger car and may not have been converted into an electric car.
- New EV's have to be registered on or after June 4th 2020.
- Used cars must be purchased through a specialist dealer and not from a private individual. This is to prevent abuse of the scheme.
- Hydrogen-electric cars are not included.